This past Saturday (November 13th), Nana (Jed’s mom) flew into Baltimore to come visit us for a week. We are not going to be able to see her for Thanksgiving or Christmas this year, so we were thrilled when she bought a ticket to come see us. Hosea loves Nana and has taken advantage of her snuggles, smiles, and singing.
 |
| Snuggles |
 |
| Outside of The Falls Church with Nana |
On Tuesday night, Jed and I got a night out. Nana was Hosea’s first babysitter. I have to be honest. No matter how much you trust someone to watch your baby and no matter how much you want a date night, leaving your little one for the first time is hard. I think I always thought I’d be a super relaxed mom when it comes to leaving her baby. If there is one lesson I have learned since having Hosea, it is “get ready to let go of your expectations.” If there is a second lesson I’ve learned, it’s “get over yourself.” If there is a third lesson I’ve learned, it’s “my feelings as a mom are totally normal, valid, and real.” So, first I admit that I am not super relaxed…I’m a mess. Second, I admit I got over myself and pulled myself together (this was hard work and aided by the gentleness of an amazing husband). Third, I admit (well, still learning to admit is more like it) that I am a normal mom with normal emotions and feelings. Leaving your baby for the first time does induce feelings of guilt, worry, anxiety, and sadness. These feelings are very real and natural. Writing this blog is therapeutic, as it provides a place for me to own these thoughts and feelings.
Nana did a great job watching Hosea, while Jed and I got away for a few hours. Our night out consisted of a romantic, yummy dinner and amazing conversation at “Pie-tanza,” coffee at Starbucks, and grocery shopping. It was divine! I love my husband so much. Spending time with him alone (or with our baby) is my favorite thing to do…every day (shouts out to Nacho Libre).
 |
| Babysitter Nana |
 |
| Date night long-arm shot outside Pie-tanza and Starbucks |
Our time with Nana has been very fun. We’ve had a whole bunch of new adventures. For sake of time, I will just list them, but believe me, they were great: taking the Metro into DC to check out the Freer Art Gallery, strolling around the Washington Monument at sunset, exploring Great Falls National Park, lunch with cousin Deb and cousin Cam at Evening Star in Alexandria, and window shopping in quaint, oldtown Alexandria.
Another new adventure for Hosea was his first ride on daddy’s shoulders (hopefully it won’t be the last). Hosea was so excited that he spit up all over daddy’s head and shirt. It was hilarious, if you ask me.
 |
| Having fun |
 |
| So much fun... |
Dahlia is almost 1 and leaving her is still hard for me. The mother-baby connection is a lot more intense than I was expecting. It is nice to get a break though, and way to throw in grocery shopping as a part of your date. That is so something Nathan and I would do!
ReplyDeleteSo cute! we love the double bjorn/backpack. wherever are you in that photo? it's gorgeous! we want to come visit.
ReplyDelete