Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Babies are messy!

I've been babysitting kids since I was eleven years old and have had at least one family that I consistently nanny for ever since college.  You'd think after all that time, that I would have realized how messy babies are.  Now that I have my own child, I have reached new levels of amazement! 
Hosea is a drooling, spitting, peeing, pooping MACHINE!  I think he goes through 3-4 bibs and at least that many burb rags every day.  We change the sheets on his bed nearly every day.  Jed and I also find ourselves making wardrobe changes at least once a day, and we are not wimpy.  Our change of clothes is usually due to the fact that we are beginning to smell like sour milk or because we have a massive wet drool spot on a portion of our clothing...to the point that it is uncomfortable. 

Yesterday and today, in particular, revealed the chuckles (and sometimes mild frustration) that we get out of having a messy baby.  Last night, we gave Hosea some "naked time" after a bath.  He's had a little bit of diaper rash (he rarely has it because we are using cloth diapers), so we've wanted to nip it in the bud.  Before or after his bath, we'll lay down a waterproof pad and a towel on his playmat and let him roll around and play naked.  He LOVES this time.  Yesterday he played for quite a while.  We were surprised that he didn't pee the entire time.  Jed rolled him over to pick him up and take him to the changing table.  Hosea was smiling at him and having a grand time so Jed smiled back and played with him a bit more.  Seconds later, a stream of pee was heading towards daddy, soaking the carpet and the edge of his playmat.  I assure you, NONE of his potty landed on the waterproof pad.  AWESOME!  Towel and playmat into the laundry.

Tonight we had planned to return some materials to the library and go to the grocery store.  After we finished watching Cam, we came downstairs to play with Hosea a bit and make a grocery list.  Soon, daddy smelt something and said, "I think Hosea pooped."  I responded, "Hosea's poops usually doesn't smell so it's probably just gas."  Now, there is something you should know about our son's digestive system...he is VERY efficient.  He usually only poops every 5-7 days (it is ok for this to happen when babies are solely breastfed).  The last time he pooped was on Sunday, so I was not expecting him to poop on Tuesday.  Because Hosea poops so rarely, nearly every time he poops is an epic poop.  Am I giving too much detail?!  Oh well.  We took Hosea to the changing table and...daddy was right....poop.  And, it was smelly.  So, we decided to clean him up and then give him a bath as well.  Hosea loves baths, so it's a win-win.  Daddy washed Hosea and mommy was there to towel dry him.  Well, as I did, he threw up all over the place (another towel in the laundry).  So, back into the tub he went.  We dried him off a second time and took him to his changing table.  As I dried him off and got ready to put on his diaper rash cream, I was surprised by a stream of pee all over my jeans and on the carpet just in front of where I was standing (mom's jeans, several towels, and Hosea's socks all going in the laundry).  After quite a delay in our library/grocery store plan, we decided against another bath and just used a wet wipe to clean off Hosea.   We could not help but laugh...and document with pictures and video.  Enjoy!

Naked time


Getting cleaned up after a poopy diaper - bath #1 of 2
Bath video #1
Bath video #2
Bath video #3

Bath video #4

1 comment:

  1. my day involved four rounds of projectile vomit, necessitating the rental of a carpet steam cleaner...i'm right there with you!

    ReplyDelete