Friday, December 3, 2010

So many posts, so little time

Over the last week, I’ve wanted to write multiple postings, but time has just slipped away from me.  At the end of the day, when the kiddo is in bed, I find myself wanting to blog, but choosing to snuggle up to Jed and watch a movie, fold laundry, or go to bed.  I am convinced that 3 hours + 1 hour + 1 hour + 2 hours, interrupted and separated by feeding, diaper changing, and soothing a squirmy baby does not equal 7 hours of sleep, so when Hosea is sleeping I know I should be too…I’m so tired.  So, this blog posting will be short versions of all the posts I wished I had written. 
First, I wanted to write a reflective post for Thanksgiving and include a family picture and one of Hosea wearing his “Baby’s First Thanksgiving” bib (a gift from my friend, Kristin…super cute with a turkey on it).  Well, we never took a family picture or a picture of Hosea with the super cute bib on.  We were too busy cleaning and making mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, creamed corn, and cinnamon rolls amidst taking care of our cranky son, who was getting over a cold.  We had a nice dinner with some of Jed’s family, here in Falls Church.  Thanksgiving kind of snuck up on me this year.  I’m used to traveling to Minnesota or Wisconsin to be with family and usually I’m not the host, so I get to enjoy all the great food and fellowship without the cleaning and cooking.  This year, we stayed home, hosted, and cooked (along with Jed’s aunt and cousin, who did most of the work).  I definitely have new respect for anyone who hosts Thanksgiving dinner at their home…it is a lot of work for one meal!  Jed has a different perspective - “It’s more than worth the work for the best family event/holiday of the year.”  Thanksgiving, by its very name, begs us to stop and give thanks for all we have.  This year, I was reminded about the importance of intentionally giving thanks, both individually and corporately.  If we are not intentional, countless things will distract us from this focus.  Thanksgiving becomes “just another day/meal,” rather than a celebration.  Lord, help me to be a more thankful person and us to be a more thankful people…on Thanksgiving and every other day of the year.  Don’t let anything stand in the way of our hearts praising You for who You are, for what You’ve done, and for all You’ve given us. 
Family at Thanksgiving dinner - Jed's elbow on the right
Second post – Hosea is growing like crazy and does the cutest stuff!  He is enjoying sitting in his Bumpo much more than before, LOVES standing (with help for balance, of course…he’s got the strength), talks (in Hosea-ese) all the time, and wants to chew on everything (drools like crazy)!  He is also developing an amazing eye/hand coordination.  The other day, Hosea and I walked to Panera for lunch, while daddy was working in the yard.  As I ate my salad, Hosea intently watched each forkful from bowl to mouth.  After watching several bites- SNATCH!- my son grabbed a leaf of lettuce off my fork as it traveled to my mouth.  He is very quick and now explores the world with his hands.  All of a sudden, we have to be very careful what comes within Hosea’s reach, especially when we’re holding him.
At 4 1/2 months, Hosea is almost 25 inches (if you measure this way)

In the Bumpo

Why lie on your back when you can stand up?
Third post – Mouth battles! For a long time, daddy has attacked Hosea with (sometimes scratchy) kisses on his neck, face, and chest.  Hosea has started to fight back!  He always has been an open-mouth kisser, but now, it has gone to new levels.  Mama got a surprise attack to the chin the other day.  He must have been hungry because he bit onto my chin and wouldn’t stop sucking.  It made me laugh a lot!
Attack!

Fourth post – Visual representation of Hosea's cuteness.  If one pic = 1,000 words…what do four pics equal?

  
Hosea does his best Buddy Hackett

Pretty good, huh?

Mama vacuuming with Hosea in the carrier (reaching for the camera)

Enjoying an outdoor Sunday brunch in November. How cute are they?

1 comment:

  1. I love the video! wonderful pics! I'm glad you guys are well! we will pray for more sleep for you!

    ReplyDelete