I was telling someone about our blog the other day and he asked how often we post. It was at that moment that I realized it had been a really long time since we'd posted...three weeks...and so much has happened in that time. Ideally, I would like to post 1-2 times per week, but lately, our schedule has been so busy hosting visitors and traveling/visiting people ourselves, that we haven't had time to post. This will be a condensed version of the last three weeks in the von Steinbergs' household. We have had some sweet times together and been able to share life with many close to us.
February 25-March 2 - Whitney Thomas visits us from Seattle
Our dear friend, Whitney, took time out of her busy life in Seattle to fly to Virginia to visit us, as well as her longtime friend, Jeremy Gray, and his fiance, Laura Schaffner. Whitney was one of Jed's first friends at Union Church in Seattle and she quickly became a friend of Bethany's after Jed introduced the two of them. Hosea was actually born in Whitney's house - in her bathtub! If you don't know that story, you'll have to ask us to share it with you. It was pretty amazing! Whitney is such a genuine, loyal friend and is so easy to be around. We appreciate her encouragement, generosity, and vulnerability. We miss living in the same area, but we are so thankful she came to visit us.
February 26-27 - Przemek Lesniewicz visits us from the Norfolk, Virginia Naval Base
I (Bethany) have known Przemek for nearly half of my life. My mom met Przemek on a mission trip to Poland in the mid-90's and they became very close. When Przemek came to the States a few years later, my family "adopted" him. He has become like a brother to BJ and I. He is currently serving in the U.S. Navy and is stationed in Norfolk, Virginia, just a few hours from where we live. After many years of living in different places and not seeing one another, it is a treat to once again be living so close to my dear brother. Przemek had yet to meet Jed (so crazy, since Jed and I met in June of 2005) and Hosea. It was really important to me that Jed know Przemek, since he has been such a key person in my story. Przemek's visit overlapped Whitney's. It was also great to introduce the two of them to one another.
 |
| On a walk with Przemek & Whitney |
 |
| We love Whitney!!! |
 |
| Group shot |
 |
| We met Whit's friends, Jeremy & Laura, for lunch and a walk around Georgetown |
 |
| Hosea LOVES Whitney! She is amazing with kids. |
 |
| Thanks for visiting us, Whit! We had so much fun with you! |
March 4 - Trip to the National Zoo Deb & Cam
Virginia has been having some beautiful spring weather! We took advantage of one of the gorgeous days by visiting the National Zoo with Deb and Cam. We had a fun afternoon looking at the animals. Some of our favorites were the sloth bear, the cheetahs, and the lions...with their 7 new cubs! The National Zoo is a really great place! Cameron is walking really well, so he loved exploring the zoo on foot, as well as in his stroller. When Hosea wasn't napping in the carrier, he also enjoyed observing the animals.
 |
| Gorgeous day at the zoo |
 |
| Cam is ready to see the animals |
 |
| Family photo...looking at some zebras...well, Hosea wasn't but we were |
 |
| Visiting the "Small Mammal House" was definitely an act of love on my part, as I despise all rodents. I did learn some fun facts - this one a nursing mother can appreciate. Treeshrews got it easy...my son nurses every 2 hours! |
 |
| The National Zoo has seven new lion cubs and they sure are cute! We stood watching them for the longest time. |
March 4-7 - Grandma and Gramps Holty visit us from Wisconsin & Przemek visits us again
Shortly after arriving home from the zoo, Grandma and Gramps arrived. We were excited to see them. They hadn't seen Hosea since Christmas and were delighted to see all the new things he was doing, like crawling and standing holding onto things. While they were here, we visited Eastern Market (east of the Capitol in DC). Unfortunately, I got very sick while we were there and spent the next 24 hours in bed. Grandma and Gramps lovingly cared for Hosea and served us while they were here. Not much of a vacation for them, but we were so grateful for their help. They were also very glad to get to see Przemek and spend quality time with Jed and Hosea.
Gramps dancing with Hosea at Eastern Market - so sweet!
 |
| Grandma feeding Hosea some plum apple sauce and water |
 |
| Grandma & Gramps had to see how much fun Hosea is in the bathtub |
 |
| Lunch with Grandma & Gramps before they returned home - I was feeling much better by then. |
March 9-15 - Bethany & Hosea visit Auntie Linda in Minnesota
My dear sister, Linda Schubring, is battling breast cancer. She had a bilateral mastectomy on January 26th and began chemotherapy on February 26th. Ever since I learned of Linda's cancer, in late December, my heart has been longing to be with her. I told her to name a time and I would be there. Linda's husband, Brian, had to go to Madrid for a week for work and Linda asked me if I would come stay with her. It seemed like the perfect time. And it was! You can read more about our time together on
Linda and Brian's blog. Linda and I had such sweet times of conversation, laughter, and tears. Hosea LOVED spending time with his Auntie Linda and also with Brian and Linda's daughter, Camila. I am so thankful for the friendship Linda and I share. It is one of the greatest gifts God has given me.
I wish Jed could have joined me in Minnesota, but he lovingly stayed back in Virginia to watch Cameron. Jed is such a great godfather to Cam. They spent lots of time together in the yard while I was away. Being apart from Jed for a week was hard, but I was reminded once again of how blessed I am to have him as my partner. Single parenting is hard work! Jed is the most amazing husband, father, and friend. I wouldn't want to journey through life with anyone else!
 |
| Hosea, happy to see his Auntie Linda. |
 |
| Uncle BJ and (future) Aunt Sarah stopped by to enjoy dinner with Linda, Camila, Hosea, and I |
 |
Hosea became very confident in his standing ability while at Linda's house.
A friend lent us a walker on wheels for our time at Linda's - Hosea became quite a speedy walker. It was so cute watching him! |
 |
| We had dinner with Linda's parents, Don & Marlene, in North Branch, MN |
 |
| Hosea & Camila doing push-ups |
 |
| Hosea's Nana and Auntie Lisl babysat so Linda and I could enjoy dinner in Wayzata |
 |
| Nana, Auntie Lisl, and cousin Daria loved caring for Hosea |
 |
| Thank you, Lord, for the beautiful, strong women in my life (Linda, Hosea, and I with Mary & Michele). |
 |
| Hosea couldn't wait to be back and see his daddy! |
March 18-20 - Trip to NYC
We are so thankful to be living in the same city as one of Jed's best friends from growing up, Matt Aldag. Matt had been planning to run the NYC Half-Marathon on Sunday, April 20th. One of Jed and Matt's other best friends, Ben Stacke (along with his wife, Joanna, and daughter, Sophia Grace), lives in NYC. The marathon weekend provided an opportunity for old friends to spend time together and enjoy the Big Apple. Matt, Jed, Hosea, our two dogs, and myself, loaded up in our Ford Taurus and made our way to NYC. A big thank you to the Stacke family for hosting us and making our weekend so memorable.
 |
| Let the road trip begin! |
 |
| Gorgeous view of Manhattan from Ben & Joanna's apartment complex |
 |
| An EPIC car trip to Brooklyn in the Stacke's car...Hosea's 1st time falling asleep in his car seat without screaming (he has only fallen asleep one other time in his car seat and that was from exhaustion after 20+ minutes of screaming). |
 |
| Walking around Prospect Park in Brooklyn with the Stacke family |
 |
| Lunch at Katz's Deli in Manhattan |
 |
| NYC by night |
 |
| Jed and Ben supporting Matt at the NYC Half-Marathon |
 |
| Lunch and more walking around the city after the race - also pictured is Dan, who ran the race with Matt |
Great post Bethany! Love all the pics! You are a busy girl! I love that you went to NYC right after you got home! You guys are always up for an adventure!!
ReplyDeleteall the photos in this post just make me want to comment on jed's freakishly long arms. when i take a self-photo of a group, i get half the faces cut off and i scrunch my own face into an unattractive 2-dimensional plane in an effort to increase the distance from the the camera. When Jed takes a self-photo, it appears that the camera is the point and shoot recommended "5 ft to ∞" away from the group. Fascinating.
ReplyDelete